Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Passed the Permit Test!


Showed up at DPS at 6:30am and there were already at least 10 people in line, including 1 person from my class.  I slept even more poorly last night even though I managed to avoid reviewing questions in my head like "what are the height limits between which reflectors must be mounted?".  Come 7am the line hasn't started moving and I'm beginning to think DPS doesn't open until 8am!  So I pull up a square of sidewalk and prepare for a long wait.

Once I got inside and checked in it didn't take long to get through the whole process.  You sign in, they check your papers, vision, take thumb prints and photo.  Then you head over to the testing area.  You have an option to do the test written or on the computer.  I opted for the computer version and only missed one. The disadvantage of the computer version is you can't go back and review your answers or skip a question and go back to it.  You do get a running score which is kind of fun.  I passed!  Off to school

Day 2 at school involved more eTread and covering Air Brakes and Combinations, along with the practice tests and review at the end of the day.   Started getting confused because I was tired and the instructor goes so fast but I managed to just store the confusion and figured it would sort itself out eventually.  I really need a decent night's sleep!  Did pretty well on the practice tests and review so I think I'll be OK.  We take the written tests for our actual license on Friday.

BTW:  Other than the classroom and the eTread room there isn't an area out of the heat for the students. The school is essentially housed in a big warehouse with a couple of rooms installed for the classroom and eTread room.  I'm glad I brought my car so I could take a nap.  Had to leave the engine running with the A/C (this is south central Texas in the summer time!)

No comments:

Post a Comment