Sunday, June 10, 2012

Don't Look Before You Leap


Having reached the end of my rope at a dead end job that paid well, I took aleap and quit with 0 offers on the table.  Granted, it took anudge from my boyfriend, who gently encouraged me to do it. I'm almost 50 yearsold with no quantifiable skills or trade to help ensure I could find another decent paying job. I have mad office skills but they're really not worthmuch on the job market. The final deciding moment was when he sent me a pictureof a quote scribbled on a piece of note pad paper: "Whoever says look before you leap will never jump off the cliff". Having spent my formativeyears in a hippie beach town I took this as a sign from the universe. Oh yeah ,the quote was written on a temp agency notepad, in my handwriting, and is one ofmy own quotes.



The idea of driving an 18 wheeler is not a new one. It's come to me a few times over the last few years. The most recent being a few months ago when myboyfriend suggested I get my CDL and we could drive team. He's been driving for 17 years. At first I was hesitant - not sure I could do it. Once I decided Iwanted to I started doing research and came across a disqualifying issue that Ithought closed the trucking door for me. Fast forward to 3 weeks ago. Afterhaving a week off to figure out what to do with my life I decided I really didwant to drive a truck. I found a couple of references that indicated I mightnot be disqualified after all. There were a few determining factors though. Ihad to get a letter from my doc and have it approved by the doc at the localdriving school. Answer is: "shouldn't be a problem"! First hurdleover come. Next up I had to get financing. After a week of waiting on otherpeople to decide my future. I got the good news. I got the loan and needed toreport the next 2 days to register and get my physical so I could start thecoming Monday.

Let the journey begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment