Tuesday, July 3, 2012

A little behind the power curve & very exhausted!

I had grand designs of posting daily but they fell apart once reality set in. By the end of the day I have been soooo exhausted. Between the heat - it was up to 106 last week and you spend 4 hours out in the yard - and the mental effort learning to drive a big rig - i have nothing left in the tank when I get to my parents house at the end of the day. Once I'm home for the weekend I'm a little distracted ;-)

On a personal level this has been the most challenging thing I've put myself through. I love the fact I'm learning to drive a big rig but the learning experience itself has not been as positive as I think it could have been. In a way I'm glad I've refrained from posting much before now because now that I've worked with a few other instructors I have a broader perspective than I did even a week ago.

I wish I could have worked with at least one of them all along. My road instructor barks at you most of the time. Sometime there's bite behind it. The yard instructor is belittling most of the time. This past week we've had 2 ";new to me"; instructors in the yard. They have been awesome! I've dialed in the last few details of parallel parking & alley docking and have received encouraging instruction. I don't need to be coddled or told all the time I'm doing good. But a little encouragement now and then does a lot for anyone's confidence and confidence is key!

I have to share a couple of exchanges from 2 different days between myself & the road instructor. Im not terribly short (I'm 5'5") but I'm shorter than everyone else here These are not exaggerations:

1. (while in the middle of a right hand turn)
Instructor: move over to the right! you're being too scared
Me: I can't move over yet I can't see in my mirror. Your knee is in the way
Instructor: adjust your seat
(remember I'm in the middle of a turn)
Me: I wouldn't be able to push the pedals all the way in
Instructor: well I need somewhere to put my knee

2. (While preparing to drive)
Instructor: what are you doing? Let's go!
Me: I'm adjusting my seat
Instructor: you don't need to adjust your seat
Me: I can't push the pedals far enough in
Instructor: you don't need to be able to push the pedals all the way in
Me: I need to be able to push the clutch all the way in when I stop
Instructor: no you don't

The general consensus with my co-driver is that my frustrations are justified. They're a little appalled. Despite it all tho I'm succeeding and feel ready for the test on Thursday. Good thing because with tomorrow being he 4th of July today is my last day of driving!




Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment