Thursday, July 26, 2012

I'm truckin' now!

Finished up my first day with my driver trainer with US Xpress. Put in 6.5 hours towards the 120 I have to do. I'm exhausted but feel great! Only got about 3.5 hours sleep last night because I was excited to be finally driving a truck and anxious because John hadn't been hired yet. They were waiting on employment verification from one employer. When I woke up this morning I was pretty sad and very tired. Fortunately during breakfast the recruiter called to say hey got the paperwork and he's hired. So I rolled out of the terminal with a joyous heart. We did it!

This has been such an amazing journey and we still have one last leg before we will be driving together. It feels so incredible to have set a path for ourselves and be finally at this point where it's real.

My first day driving was a great experience. My trainer is very good, encouraging and is making it enjoyable. After the trials of my driving instructor and the nightmare stories I've read about other students' trainer experiences I'm much relieved. I think I dodged a bullet though as my trainer is not the one they first assigned me to. He was all "I'm not here to be your friend I'm here to teach you how to drive a truck. I'll give you a list of the rules and I expect them to be followed". A small bit of fortune and timing saved me from that reality. The other gal in my orientation group had turned down her initial driver trainer assignment because he smoked on occasion and not in the truck. A driver happened to walk past us and asked if I was waiting on a trainer because their student assignment fell through. I said I had a Trainer but he was in GA but I'm ready to roll now. He suggested I train with him. John was much relieved as he feared another experience like my driving instructor had I gone with the first trainer. To use my overused hippie phrase "the universe continues to provide"

No comments:

Post a Comment